How Early Can I Know My Symptoms Of Pregnancy
Each woman’s early pregnancy symptoms are usually unique. You may notice the first signs of pregnancy within a week or two of conception, whereas others may not notice anything for months.
It depends on your ability to detect changes in the body and how sensitive you are to those.
A blood test, which can detect pregnancy as early as one week after conception, is always an option.
During studies, women trying to conceive kept daily records of their symptoms from the time they stopped using birth control until they were eight weeks pregnant. This was based on the first day of their last menstrual period. The outcomes were:
- By the time they were five weeks pregnant, half of them had some pregnancy symptoms
- A missed period is usually the first sign of pregnancy
- Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, frequent urination, and breast tenderness and swelling are the most common symptoms these symptoms can range from mild to severe
Some pregnancy symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting, can appear as early as a few days after conception, even before a positive pregnancy test.
Spotting or cramping
- Implementation spotting and cramping may occur 6 to 12 days after sexual intercourse according to the American Pregnancy Association.
- It is the process by which the embryo implants on the uterine wall.
- Implementation bleeding can appear to be a lighter or shorter period. This symptom, however, is not common in all women.
Morning sickness and tiredness
Raised basal temperature
How Do You Know If Your Period Is Late
Whether youre busy or just have a lot on your mind, its easy to forget when you should expect your period to start. But if youre not sure when to expect your period, its hard to know if its late.
A period tracking app like Flo can help. By logging your usual menstrual cycle dates, Flo can predict when you can expect your period. This information can also be very useful if you need to go to your health care provider when you miss your period. Having information about your cycle can help them understand whats happening inside your body.
What Are Complications Of Drug Abuse And Addiction Disorders
Drug abuse and addiction put sufferers at risk for potentially devastating social, occupational, and medical complications. Effects of chemical dependency on families include increased risk of domestic violence. Individuals with drug use disorder are also much less likely to find and keep a job compared to people who are not drug-addicted. Children of parents with a substance use disorder are at higher risk for impaired social, educational, and health functioning, as well as being at higher risk for using drugs themselves.
In addition to the many devastating social and occupational complications of drug addiction, there are many potential medical complications. From respiratory arrest associated with heroin or sedative overdose to heart attack or stroke caused by cocaine or amphetamine intoxication, death is a highly possible complication of a drug use disorder. People who are dependent on drugs are also vulnerable to developing persistent medical conditions include:
- pancreatitis associated with alcoholism and
- brain damage associated with alcoholism or inhalants
Read Also: Can You Ovulate Before Your Period
I Have White Discharge After Missing Period For 5 Days
If your period is 5 days late with increased white discharge, its likely you are pregnant.
During your period cycle, vaginal discharge is usually dry just before your period and after your period ends. If your period is 5 days late with heavy vaginal discharge, then its likely you are pregnant.
to learn other causes of increased white discharge.
Treatments For A Late Period And Pregnancy
In general, if youve missed a period and you know youre not pregnant, you dont need specific treatment or care. However, if you were having a regular cycle and youve stopped, if youre experiencing bleeding at unexpected times, if its been more than 45 days since your last period, and if you have additional symptoms that point to other concerns, your doctor will likely look into treatment options. Depending on the cause, your doctor may prescribe hormone therapy like birth control pills or other medication, or they might be able to suggest lifestyle changes to help you have a regular period cycle.
If your late period is a sign of pregnancy, your doctor can help you come up with a treatment plan to be sure you receive the proper care and regular checkups throughout your pregnancy.
Don’t Miss: How Long After Your Period Is Ovulation
Understanding The Menstrual Cycle
The menstrual cycle is the process by which your body prepares an egg for fertilization, and also the period in time when your body removes the egg to prepare for the next egg. This is sometimes called a “monthly cycle,” and while 28 days is an average menstrual cycle length, it can range from about 24 days to 34 days.
Menstrual Cycle Timeline
- Day 1: Your menstrual cycle begins with the start of your period. The tissue lining around your uterus breaks down and an unfertilized egg begins to leave through your vagina along with blood. The bleeding of a period usually lasts 4-8 days, averaging 5 days for US women.
- Day 5: Your estrogen levels rise once bleeding has stopped, and this does several things. These include:
- The lining of your uterus thickens, preparing it for a new egg.
- Ovarian sacs that contain eggs grow and mature, preparing one for ovulation.
Diseases Such As Pcod
Diseases of ovary such as ovarian cancer or PCOD affect the normal functions of ovaries. So due to cysts or benign tumors ovaries wont be able to ovulate and hence you wont get your periods.
For those of you who dont know the reason for getting periods, the bleeding is due to sloughing off the vaginal lining. This vaginal lining is for implantation of the embryo if the egg and sperm fertilize.
In cases of PCOD and other illness, you wont be able to get pregnant too. Hence when you are suffering PCOD, you will get a late period and negative pregnancy test.
Recommended Reading: Why Are My Periods So Bad
Contact Doctor During Office Hours
- Home pregnancy test is positive
- You want a pregnancy test done in the office
- Sexual intercourse within the last 3 months
- Recent breast swelling, weight gain or nausea
- Teen acts sick
- Has missed 2 or more periods and prior periods were regular
- Recent weight loss
Recent Stress Causing Late Period
How Accurate Are Home Pregnancy Tests
Most home pregnancy tests claim to be up to 99% accurate. But the accuracy depends on:
- How you use them. Be sure to check the expiration date and follow the instructions. Wait up to 10 minutes after taking the test to check the results window. Research suggests that waiting 10 minutes will give the most accurate result.
- When you use them. The amount of hCG or pregnancy hormone in your urine increases with time. The earlier you take the test, the harder it is for the test to detect the hCG. Most home pregnancy tests can accurately detect pregnancy after a missed period. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning can boost the accuracy.
- Who uses them. Each woman ovulates at a different time in her menstrual cycle. Plus, the fertilized egg can implant in a woman’s uterus at different times. Your body makes hCG after implantation occurs. In up to 10% of women, implantation does not occur until after the first day of a missed period. This means home pregnancy tests can be accurate as soon as 1 day after a missed period for some women but not for others.
- The brand of test. Some home pregnancy tests are more sensitive than others. For that reason, some tests are better than others at detecting hCG early on. Talk to your pharmacist about which brand may be best for you.
Don’t Miss: When Do I Ovulate After My Period
A Missed Period And Light Bleeding
A missed period is probably the most well-known pregnancy symptom, and the one that most often prompts women to take a pregnancy test. If your period is late or doesnt come at all, you may be pregnant.
But newly pregnant womenone-third to be exactmay have whats called implantation bleeding, or bleeding that is lighter, shorter and spottier than a regular period. When you become pregnant, the fertilized egg latches on to the uterus lining and embeds itself, which initiates the pregnancy. The movement may cause light bleeding a few days before your period is supposed to start. And while the amount differs from woman to woman, implantation bleeding is typically pinkish or dark brown in color. It will likely occur for a few days to a few weeks.
Brown recommends that all women track their menstrual cycle, especially if they are trying to get pregnant. You can use a regular calendar, or one of many phone apps. These apps can help you see what a normal menstrual cycle looks like for you, including how long it is and how heavy your period is. They can also anticipate your period and ovulation days for the months to follow, says Brown. I think this is really helpful for patients who are trying to get pregnant. It can help them track when theyre most fertile.
Why Am I 6 Days Late On My Period
When you have a late period, you need to run a home pregnancy test to confirm whether you are pregnant or not. Once its established that you have a late period but arent not pregnant, its time to figure out what other reasons may be causing your late period.
Your menstrual cycle can be a delicate flower. There are many factors that can throw the timing of your period out of whack. In many cases, your physician will tell you not to worry about having a late period, or a missed period once or twice a year. You may suffer from random periods of poor eating habits, high levels of stress, vigorous exercise, hormonal imbalance, thyroid disease and etc. Even the travelling and jetlag could delay or affect your period.
Pregnancy is the most possible reason for late period for those who are sexually active. When you are pregnant, the hormones which regulate and support the health growth of the fetus will shut off the regular cycle of menstruation. This means that you will have no more periods until after your baby has been born.
Read Also: Can Ovarian Cyst Cause Missed Period
Signs You Need To Take A Pregnancy Test
4 min Read Time
Most over-the-counter pregnancy tests are 99% effective when you take them after a missed period. But how do you know when its time to pee on a stick?
Pregnancy symptoms are different for everyone, and as the levels of the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin rise, your symptoms may increase, says OBGYN Jessica Brown, MD. At four weeks, you may have a little bit of cramping, but classic symptoms like sore breasts, nausea and fatigue may not begin for six or seven weeks, she says.
So, how do you know if your symptoms point to pregnancy? Brown discusses some of the very first symptoms, along with how to ease the discomfort and the best time to take a pregnancy test.
Definitions And Terminology For Menstrualpattern
- Normal menstrual: A menstrual interval of 21-35days and a flow duration of 7 days or less are considerednormal .
- Menstrual cycle length: The number of days fromthe beginning of one menstrual period to the beginningof the next one is defined as menstrual cyclelength .
- Menstrual irregularities: A menstrual intervalshorter than 21 days and longer than 35 days is definedas menstrual irregularities. Amount of bleedingis varied .
- Oligomenorrhea: Bleeding intervals longer than 35days is defined as oligomenorrhea .
- Polymenorrhea: A menstrual interval shorter than21 days is defined as polymenorrhea .
- Hypermenorrhea: Flow more than 7 days is consideredas hypermenorrhea .
- Metrorrhagia: Metrorrhagia is defined as vaginalbleeding occurring between the expected menstrualperiods .
- Menorrhagia: Menorrhagia is defined as a PBLAC score of â¥100 . Length of menstruation cycleis not important in diagnosis of menorrhagia becausethis definition is not valid by itself .
- Menometrorrhagia: Excessive and prolonged bleedingoccurring irregularly is defined as menometrorrhagia.
What Are The Physical And Psychological Effects Of Drug Abuse And Addiction Disorders
While the specific physical and psychological effects of drug abuse and addiction disorders tend to vary based on the particular substance involved, the general effects of addiction to any drug can be devastating.
- Psychologically, intoxication with or withdrawal from a substance can cause everything from euphoria as with alcohol, Ecstasy, or inhalant intoxication, to paranoia with marijuana or steroid intoxication, to severe depression or suicidal thoughts with cocaine or amphetamine withdrawal.
- In terms of effects on the body, intoxication with a drug can cause physical effects that range from marked sleepiness and slowed breathing as with intoxication with heroin or sedative-hypnotic drugs, to the rapid heart rate of cocaine intoxication, or the tremors to seizures of alcohol withdrawal.
According to the DSM-5 , the diagnostic reference that is written and endorsed by the American Psychiatric Association, in order to be diagnosed with substance-related use disorder, a person must exhibit a maladaptive pattern of drug use that leads to significant problems or stress, as manifested by at least two of the following signs or symptoms in the same one-year period:
How Late Can A Period Be
A typical menstrual cycle lasts 28 days, but depending on the woman, a healthy cycle can be a short as 21 or as long as 35 days. Track your period over several months to look for cycle patterns and changes . This will help you figure out what a normal menstrual cycle usually looks like for you.
A period is usually considered late if it hasnt started within seven days of when you expect it .
Don’t Miss: Best Pain Relief For Period Cramps
Food And Odor Aversions Or Cravings
Aversions to certain foods or odors are caused by your bodys hormonal changes during the first trimester of pregnancy. You may start to despise the way your favorite dinner smells or tastes, or, on the flip side, you may crave certain snacks, meals, beverages or food combinations.
When it comes to cravings or aversions, listen to your body. Its okay to occasionally indulge in late-night ice cream runsjust dont overdo it. Talk to your OBGYN if youre unable to stomach major food groups like vegetables or whole grains. The two of you can discuss foods that can easily be substituted in.
How About If My Period Is Late And I Have Spotting Instead
Spotting is light bleeding during your menstrual cycle, but not enough to be considered a period. If you have spotting instead of your usual period, it is advisable to take a pregnancy test. Spotting is a sign of early pregnancy, especially if it is accompanied by other pregnancy symptoms such as nausea with or without vomiting, tiredness and fatigue, dizziness, breast changes such as tenderness and frequent urination.
Spotting can occur 1 to 2 weeks after fertilisation when the fertilised egg implants in the lining of your uterus. It is not uncommon to have spotting after sex or after a vaginal exam.
However, several health issues can also cause spotting. It can also be a sign of infection such as STIs and PID, stress, or other medical conditions such as PCOS or thyroid conditions. It doesnât always spell pregnancy.
You Have A Chronic Condition
When the small intestine is damaged, it impairs the bodys ability to absorb nutrients from food. This can lead to malnourishment, which affects normal hormone production and leads to missed periods and other menstrual irregularities.
Those with type 1 and type 2 diabetes might also experience a missed period in rare cases. This tends to only happen when blood sugar levels are not managed.
I Got My Period Very Late Should I Take A Pregnancy Test Can I Take It On My Period
By | Sept. 10, 2013, 3:21 p.m.
So, my period was 13 days late and I just got it today, should I still take a pregnancy test? If so, should I wait until Im off my period or is it ok to take it while Im still on it?
Late periods can be stressful, but try to chill out: getting your period is a sign that youre not pregnant. Periods can be late for all kinds of reasons, like weight changes, increase in exercise, hormones, and stress. Its also really common for periods to change in timing and flow during the first few years of your menstrual cycle, while your body develops and settles into a pattern. This is probably whats causing your period to be tardy for the party.
It is possible to be pregnant and have light bleeding that seems kind of like a period, but its not the same as a period. If you really feel like something is wrong, check with your doctor or a Planned Parenthood health center. And yes, you can take a pregnancy test even if youre having bleeding. If taking a pregnancy test will ease your mind, go for it theyre usually about $15 at the drug store.
Since you asked about pregnancy, Im guessing its because youre having vaginal sex. Its great that youre thinking about the possible consequences of sex, like unplanned pregnancy. You should think about using a good method of birth control so you dont have to worry in the future. And remember that its also important to protect against STDs too, by using condoms and getting tested.
Also Check: How To Help Bad Period Cramps