The Basics Of Birth Control Pills
When you swallow birth control pills, youre ingesting one or more synthetic hormones. This could be a combination of estrogen and progestin, or just progestin, depending on the type of birth control that youre taking. These hormones work to prevent pregnancy in three different ways.
They also thicken the cervical mucus, which makes it harder for sperm to reach an egg if one is released. The hormones can thin the uterine lining, too. This means that if an egg does get fertilized, itll be difficult for it to attach to the uterine lining and develop.
Birth control pills are over 99 percent effective when used correctly. This means taking the pill at the same time every day. If you miss a day or youre late taking your pill, the efficacy can decrease. With typical use, the failure rate is about
Several different types of birth control pills are available.
Some are similar to the pill packs that were first made available in 1960. They included 21 days of pills with active hormones and seven placebo or inactive pills. When you take an inactive pill, it allows for bleeding that mimics normal menstruation.
There are also packs that allow for 24 days of active pills and a shorter menstrual-like bleeding period.
Extended-cycle or continuous regimens consist of a couple of months worth of active pills. They can either reduce the number of periods you have or eliminate your period entirely.
Mishandling Of Pregnancy Test
If you do not know how to take a pregnancy test you will certainly get a late period negative pregnancy test. In this case, it may be that you are pregnant and you have a late period false negative pregnancy test.
Mishandling of pregnancy tests includes reading results after allotted time. Read pregnancy test instructions thoroughly before conducting the test.
Home Pregnancy Test Accuracy
If used correctly and at the right time, home pregnancy tests are fairly accurate at detecting pregnancy. Used correctly means that you read the directions and follow them. Each test has slightly different directions, so if using different brands, it’s important to read the directions. Also, using the test at the right time makes a difference in ‘accuracy’. Women who test too early will get inaccurate results.
The absolute best time to take any pregnancy test is a few days after a missed period. This is when the hormone hCG, the pregnancy hormone produced by the growing balls of cells if there is indeed a pregnancy, is most easily detected by home pregnancy tests. Too soon before that and you may get a false negative as your body has not produced enough hCG.
Some tests do claim that they can get you early results, meaning results before your next expected period. If you truly read their statements, however, you’ll find that the early results are only possible for a small percentage of women, not every woman. It’s most likely a marketing ploy to encourage you to take more tests and hence spend more money.
I have had three different experiences with home pregnancy tests. With my first pregnancy, I saw a positive result on the day of my expected period. With my second pregnancy, I didn’t get a positive result until almost my sixth week of pregnancy . With my third, I was able to test two days before my expected period and get a positive result.
You May Like: 9 Year Old Starting Period Symptoms
How Long Does It Take To Miss A Period After Conception
Most people miss their period around two weeks after conception. Thats because conception tends to happen around day 1214 before your next period starts, which is when you ovulate. Two weeks after that, youre on approximately day 28 of your cycle, which is when you would normally expect your period to come.
Facts You Should Know About Pregnancy Tests
*Facts you should know about pregnancy tests medically edited by: Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD
- Pregnancy tests work by detecting a hormone in a woman’s blood or urine: hCG is produced when an egg implanted in the uterus.
- There are two types of pregnancy tests, one uses blood and the other uses urine a quantitative blood test detects hCG earlier than a qualitative blood or urine test.
- Most home pregnancy tests detect hCG in a urine stream when, after a few minutes, a line or symbol appears if the test is positive most urine pregnancy test instructions urge a second test in a few days no matter what were the first results follow package instructions if a control indicator does not appear, the test result should not be trusted.
- Home tests are accurate, some better than others.
- Home pregnancy tests may test positive on the first day of a missed period, but almost all detect pregnancy 1 week after a missed period.
- It is possible to be pregnant and have a negative home pregnancy test that is why you should wait about a week to repeat the test. Most medicines and other compounds do not interfere with pregnancy tests however, any drug containing hCG may give false test results.
- Any questions or problems with pregnancy tests should be discussed with your doctor.
Don’t Miss: Things Not To Eat On Your Period
What Are The Major Differences Between Early Pregnancy And Pre
“They certainly are similar!,” says Mark P. Trolice, M.D., reproductive endocrinology and infertility specialist at Fertility CARE, The IVF Center, and Associate Professor of Ob/Gyn at University of Central Florida College of Medicine. “A pregnancy test at the time of expected menses can make the distinction.”
- Premenstrual symptoms include mood swings, increased appetite/cravings, abdominal bloatedness, fatigue, breast tenderness, headaches, and hot flashes.
- Early pregnancy symptoms include nausea , breast tenderness, fatigue, frequent urination, mild uterine cramping, abdominal bloatedness, constipation, heartburn, food cravings, and mood changes.
My Pregnancy Test Says I Am Not Pregnant Could I Still Be Pregnant
Yes, it is possible you could still be pregnant. It’s possible to be pregnant and to have a pregnancy test show that you are not pregnant.
The accuracy of home pregnancy test results varies from woman to woman because:
- Each woman ovulates at a different time in her menstrual cycle.
- The fertilized egg can implant in a woman’s uterus at different times.
- Sometimes women get false-negative results when they test too early in the pregnancy. False negative means the test says you are not pregnant when you are.
- Problems with the pregnancy can affect the amount of hCG in the urine.
If a test says you are not pregnant, take another pregnancy test in a few days. If you are pregnant, your hCG levels should double every 48 hours. If you think you are pregnant but more tests say you are not, call your doctor.
You May Like: Can I Get Pregnant 6 Days After My Period
When To See Your Gp
See your GP if you’re not pregnant you’ve had a negative pregnancy test and you’ve missed more than 3 periods in a row.
If you’re sexually active and you have not taken a pregnancy test, your GP may advise you to take one.
They may also ask you about:
- your medical history
- any emotional issues you’re having
- any recent changes in your weight
- the amount of exercise you do
Your GP may recommend waiting to see whether your periods return on their own. In some cases you may need treatment for your periods to return.
You should also see your GP if your periods stop before you’re 45 or if you’re still bleeding when you’re over 55.
When Will A Pregnancy Test Appear Positive
If you are trying to get pregnant and you miss a period, you are naturally excited, yet there is no way to know for sure until you take a pregnancy test. However, there are several symptoms that are suggestive of pregnancy, including breast tenderness, nausea, and bloating. Keep in mind, these can also be premenstrual signs.
Also Check: Why Is My Period So Light This Month
If My Period Only Lasted Three Days Am I Pregnant
According to the website Med Guidance, there is no reason to believe definitively that a woman is pregnant if her period lasted only three days. There are many reasons why a woman’s period would last only three days. A three-day period is not cause to believe a woman is pregnant unless other conditions are met.
The lengths of women’s menstrual periods vary. Many women experience periods that are as long as seven full days, while others may have a normal period of only three days. A period can even last only one or two days, in which case some may be concerned about the possibility of pregnancy.
According to Baby Zone, irregularities in a woman’s menstrual cycle are sometimes the result of hormone fluctuations. Other reasons for menstrual irregularity include illness and stress. Some women report being “regularly irregular.” Symptoms of pregnancy often mimic the symptoms of an irregular menstrual cycle, which is why many women grow concerned when they notice changes in their period.
According to WebMD, early symptoms of pregnancy include spotting or bleeding for a short period of time, often mimicking a period. Thus, if a woman experiences a three-day period, she may actually be spotting. Other symptoms of pregnancy include breast changes and cramping.
Does A Missed Period Mean You’re Pregnant
When you don’t get your period as expected, you might start to worry. The absence of your normal menstrual cycle can be concerning since it can indicate a pregnancy or it may be related to an illness or stress. It is considered one of the major possible signs of early pregnancy.
People have different names for it such as a late period, skipping a cycle, or a missed period. In essence, it simply means that your normal menstrual cycle or period didn’t happen when it should have happened. Throughout your lifetime, you may have a missed period for a variety of reasons. It may also just be delayed.
Many women will go through various cycle abnormalities in their life due to various factors. This is not necessarily a problem for all women, but can also indicate a larger health concern for some. A missed cycle can also make trying to get pregnant or confirming early pregnancy more difficult for others.
Also Check: How Can I Delay My Period
Period Only Lasts Three Days Is It Normal
The menstrual cycle is different on every woman. Some women might have a longer cycle, while others could have a very short one. This applies to their period, too. The average woman has a period that lasts between five and seven days, and usually happens every 28 days or so. But some have much shorter periods, and might also have shorter or longer cycles. Some women even worry because their period only lasted 2 days. Is a 3 day period normal? Should women be worried if they have that short of a period?
Causes Of Late Or Skipped Periods
Missing your period can be concerning, whether youre sexually active or not. Many different things can lead to missing or irregular periods, and it can take some time to narrow down exactly whats wrong. That said, there are some common culprits behind this issue, so you have a place to start.
At Serrano OBGyn, our compassionate doctor, Dr. Christopher Serrano, can solve the mystery behind your missing or late periods. If youre pregnant, he can provide prenatal care. If youre not, he can provide appropriate treatment, if needed, to help balance your system
Also Check: What Helps With Bloating During Period
How Much Are Pregnancy Tests
Buying a multitude of pregnancy tests can get expensive, especially if you are testing too early. There are tests at the dollar stores for a dollar, or you could buy one test at a superstore or grocery store for $3-$4. Some tests come in packs of twos or threes and can range from $10-$15.
Pregnancy tests can also be found online. Testing strips can be as little as $0.32 each and are usually sold in bulk.
Clinics may give pregnancy tests for free. Health care professionals may also give blood tests, which should be covered by insurance.
Why Did My Period Stop After One Day/why Did My Period Stop Suddenly
In some women, estrogen levels are too high in the first phase of the cycle. This can cause bleeding to stop too early in the cycle when there is still menstrual blood to be shed resulting in some females who may have bled for an hour then stopped with a period that starts and stops the same day.
Periods stopping suddenly can be due to many reasons I have outlined above including:
Endometrial tissue blocking the opening of the cervix
Your uterus may be tipped or flexed
Liver qi stagnation
You May Like: How To Stop Period For A Few Hours
You Are Close To Menopause
If you are more than 40 years with a delayed period, then it could be due to peri-menopause.
Perimenopause, which occurs between 40 and 50 years in women, can cause your period to be delayed for three days. You may also notice other symptoms like hot flushes, thinning of bones and very dry vagina.
What can help?
If perhaps you have got these symptoms, systemic estrogen therapy or vaginal estrogen creams can help relieve your symptoms.
You Are Taking Oral Contraceptives
Contraceptive pills block ovulation and may affect your period coming out depending on the type of pills you are on.
If your period is 3 days late and youre on COC pills like Seasonale, then you dont have to worry. Seasonale pills are taken for about 84 days with a break period. Women on these pills will not have period for four months.
However, if youve missed your pills for days, it could be pregnancy. You should inform your doctor or get a pregnancy test done.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Back Pain On Your Period
How Accurate Are Home Pregnancy Tests
Most home pregnancy tests claim to be up to 99% accurate. But the accuracy depends on:
- How you use them. Be sure to check the expiration date and follow the instructions. Wait up to 10 minutes after taking the test to check the results window. Research suggests that waiting 10 minutes will give the most accurate result.
- When you use them. The amount of hCG or pregnancy hormone in your urine increases with time. The earlier you take the test, the harder it is for the test to detect the hCG. Most home pregnancy tests can accurately detect pregnancy after a missed period. Also, testing your urine first thing in the morning can boost the accuracy.
- Who uses them. Each woman ovulates at a different time in her menstrual cycle. Plus, the fertilized egg can implant in a woman’s uterus at different times. Your body makes hCG after implantation occurs. In up to 10% of women, implantation does not occur until after the first day of a missed period. This means home pregnancy tests can be accurate as soon as 1 day after a missed period for some women but not for others.
- The brand of test. Some home pregnancy tests are more sensitive than others. For that reason, some tests are better than others at detecting hCG early on. Talk to your pharmacist about which brand may be best for you.