Massage Your Tummy With Essential Oils
Research suggests that some essential oils can help ease period cramps when massaged onto the abdomen, especially when used in a blend of oils.
Oils that seem to be most effective at reducing period cramps, due to their ability to boost circulation, include:
You can find essential oils online, or at your local health food store. Some drugstores may sell them, too.
Before using essential oils, youll want to mix them with a carrier oil, like coconut oil or jojoba oil. Carrier oils work by safely carrying the essential oil into your skin, and helping to spread the oil over a large area.
Once your oil mixture is ready to use, rub a few drops between your hands and then give your tummy a gentle massage.
Experts say massaging in a circular motion for just five minutes a day before and during your period may help lessen cramps and boost circulation in your abdomen.
According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, OTC pain relievers like ibuprofen , naproxen , and aspirin are effective treatments for period cramps.
These medications work best if theyre taken at the first sign of cramps or pain.
You can find ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, at any drugstore. Be sure to take only as directed, and talk to your doctor first if you have a history of heart, liver, or kidney problems, or if you have asthma, ulcers, or bleeding disorders.
recent study , low-to-medium intensity aerobic exercise can help reduce pain caused by period cramps.
How To Get Rid Of Period Cramps Naturally
A lot of women have their own ways of dealing with tough menstruation cycles and PMS symptoms, from tips handed down by mom to turning to medications. And if those work for you awesome!
But if youre looking for some new, natural ways to combat that painful time of the month, then this is the list for you. From essential oils and Epsom salts to fish oil and your favorite tunes, these methods for how to get rid of period cramps will help ease period pain so you can live your best life all month long.
1. Try acupuncture.
When youre in pain, the idea of getting pricked by needles probably doesnt sound too appealing. But acupuncture, a type of Traditional Chinese Medicine, has been used for more than 2,000 years to treat chronic pain and can be especially effective during a hard-to-handle menstrual cycle. In fact, one small study out of Australia and New Zealand found that acupuncture treatment can ease period pain, including secondary symptoms like headaches and nausea, in women.
The pilot study of women ages 18 to 45 years old had them undergoing one of four types of manual or electro-acupuncture treatments over three menstrual cycles. Half of the women experienced at least a 50 percent reduction in the severity of their symptoms over three months of being treated with acupuncture and reported they were able to use fewer painkillers to treat pain.
2. Take a hot bath with Epsom salts.
3. Get a dose of extra-virgin olive oil.
4. Try fish oil supplements.
5. Get more sleep.
Top 5 Natural Ways To Deal With Period Cramps
If the first thing you reach for is the ibuprofen bottle when your period cramps come back to haunt you, then youre doing it wrong. We get it, sometimes period pains, also known as dysmenorrhea, can be uncontrollable and youd do anything to make them stop but there are better ways to ease that pain. Unless you want a damaged liver, avoid the prolonged medication side-effects caused from painkillers and make your tummy happier with these 5 natural remedies.
Also Check: How Do You Know If Your Getting Your Period
What Can Cause Hormonal Imbalances
Hormone levels can be influenced by external and internal factors including stress, fluid changes in the body, vitamin and mineral levels, infections and environmental toxins. In these days we are exposed to more human-made chemical toxins than at any other time in the history of the human species.
- Stress contributes to endocrine dysfunction, it releases cortisol hormone in the body which leads to a depletion of progesterone and thyroid hormones .
- Poor dietary habits highly processed foods, soft drinks, alcohol, sugar, caffeine and saturated fats create inflammation and dysbiosis in the gut which translates to constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating and acid reflux. This inflammation suppresses the hypothalamus and pituitary gland which are controllers of the hormones. Inflammation due to allergies have the same effect.
- Nutritional imbalances deficiencies of Calcium, Magnesium , Zinc, B Vitamins.
- Synthetic chemicals when a foreign chemical enters the body it confuses our bodys natural hormones. They mimic hormones and keep the body from producing real hormones. Common sources of chemicals:
- Solvents, emulsifiers, adhesives
- Non Stick Cookware: including Teflon and silicone
- Hormonal birth control
- Non-organic meats
- Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides
- PCBs from industrial waste.
Here is how to get rid of period cramps for good naturally:
Relief From Menstrual Cramps
What helps cramps naturally is exercise. Exercise provides a double dose of benefits to relieve cramps. First, when you exercise, your brain releases hormones called endorphins. Endorphins block pain receptors in your brain, helping to stop pain signals from your cramping, contracting uterus. Aerobic exercise, even a brisk walk, can release endorphins and provide some pain relief.
Exercise also improves circulation throughout your entire body, including your uterus. When you have cramps, your uterus is contracting so hard that it is cutting off some blood flow, which sends pain signals to the brain. By opening up these blood vessels with increased circulation, you may be able to relieve menstrual cramp pain.
You May Like: Why Am I Not Getting My Period
How Does Ovulation Relate To Periods
Ovulation is the release of an egg from the ovaries. The same hormones that cause the uterus lining to build up also cause an egg to leave one of the ovaries. The egg travels through a thin tube called a fallopian tube to the uterus.
If the egg is fertilized by a sperm cell, it attaches to the wall of the uterus, where over time it develops into a baby. If the egg is not fertilized, the uterus lining breaks down and bleeds, causing a period.
Follow A Healthy Diet High In Fiber And Essential Fats
During menstruation, it is advisable to maintain a healthy and balanced diet. Craving for junks during menstruation is a result of hormonal changes of the estrogen and progesterone getting reduced. This is how to stop cramps during periods, a well-balanced diet can help fight against cramps and keep your body healthy. It is advisable to eat fruits and other foods high in fiber and essential fats, and dont forget about boron and calcium during this period. Some of the prescribed foods for consumption are as follows:
- Broccoli: this food has a high fiber content that can help fight against menstrual symptoms. It has various nutrients such as vitamins, potassium and magnesium. Broccoli can help fight against bloating since it is very high in water.
- Dairy products, leafy green vegetables, soy, sesame seeds, almonds are rich in calcium. Calcium can help reduce period muscle cramps.
- Salmon, walnuts, avocado, pumpkin and flaxseeds contain omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce muscle cramps during menstruation.
Read Also: Life Insurance With No Waiting Period
Should I Use A Pad Tampon Or Menstrual Cup
You have many choices about how to deal with period blood. You may need to experiment a bit to find which works best for you. Some girls use only one method and others switch between different methods.
- Most girls use pads when they first get their period. Pads are made of cotton and come in lots of different sizes and shapes. They have sticky strips that attach to the underwear.
- Many girls find tampons more convenient than pads, especially when playing sports or swimming. A tampon is a cotton plug that a girl puts into her vagina. Most tampons come with an applicator that guides the tampon into place. The tampon absorbs the blood. Dont leave a tampon in for more than 8 hours because this can increase your risk of a serious infection called toxic shock syndrome.
- Some girls prefer a menstrual cup. Most menstrual cups are made of silicone. To use a menstrual cup, a girl inserts it into her vagina. It holds the blood until she empties it.
How Do You Take Cannabis For Menstrual Cramps
Theres the option to take cannabis orally, via inhalation, directly on the skin or via your birth canal by making suppositories.
The product I used personally is from Nu Leaf Naturals, and Im 100% satisfied by its purity and its effectiveness, I take it orally only 10 drops! Its doesnt have any other ingredients, and additives, just organic virgin hemp oil and full spectrum CBD oil . And if you do some research youll find out that this is the best from the best on the market right now.
You May Like: Dental Insurance Missouri No Waiting Period
Sex Is Associated With Decreased Period Pain
Your body releases oxytocin when you have sex, and the natural hormone has been associated with . In addition, Hall told me: orgasms can help relieve cramps because they release pelvic congestion and improve blood flow in the pelvis. Heres a reason to make period sex part of your monthly routine. Masturbation is also an option.
Can Bad Period Cramps Be A Sign Of Something Else
Period cramps usually dont signify that something is wrong with your health. But in some cases they can be a symptom of a medical condition:
- Endometriosis This disorder occurs when tissue similar to the tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus, often adhering to your bladder, ovaries, or even your bowels.
- Uterine Fibroids These are noncancerous growths that emerge inside the uterine walls. They can range in size from one tiny speck to several bulky masses.
- Adenomyosis Tissue that normally lines the uterus begins to grow inside the organs muscle wall.
Pain from these conditions may seem like period pain, but it typically lasts longer and can be more severe than your usual menstrual cramps.
If you experience this type of pain, its important to see your doctor, Thielen says.
Read Also: How To Know When Your First Period Is Coming
Improving Your Diet May Alleviate Period Cramps
When researchers put 33 women with dysmenorrhea on a low-fat vegetarian diet, they found it eased their cramps, according to research published in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Start by swapping out less healthy fats like the saturated fats found in animal products for healthier ones like unsaturated fats found in olive oil, suggests the American Heart Association. Overall, try to make the fats you eat better quality, such as those found in fish or nuts, the organization suggests. Examples of meals not overly reliant on fats can be found in the healthy eating plate guide from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
RELATED: 9 Scientific Benefits of Following a Plant-Based Diet
Diy Tips: 8 Natural Remedies To Relieve Period Pain Stress
Girls are superheroes.
But for those of us who aren’t lucky enough to easily glide through our periods, it becomes very important to look at ways to cope with it and reduce that soul-crushing period pain.
Because it’s something we do every month – endure period pain – it somehow makes sense that we all have a few do-it-yourself tips and tricks up our sleeve to get through those days. So, we’re taking you on a ‘natural’ journey that would work wonders for you and end up beating the prostaglandins coursing through your veins.
1Drink tea Dr Rima Chatterjee of Pearl Clinic, Kolkata, advises “drinking at least one cup of tea.”
“The heat from the tea serves up some much needed comfort to your distressed muscles,”adds Chatterjee.
Chamomile teas, ginger tea, peppermint tea, lavender tea, green tea, lemongrass tea, cardamom tea, are some of the herbal teas. Herbal teas can provide you with some much-needed freshness relieve you from the fatigue and also help decrease the amount of pain you experience.
2Have lots of water, pleaseTry to drink 6-8 glasses of water each day. In addition to making you feel better, this will also improve your overall health, especially during that time of the month.
Dr Hitesh Sharma of Health Centre, Mumbai, says that, “Drinking adequate water is relevant for your body and during your periods your body needs a lot more water. So maintain a stable intake of water.”
Add a lot of iron to your diet like lentils, spinach and legumes to your diet, he adds.
Also Check: How To Help Bad Period Cramps
Exercise To Get Rid Of Menstrual Pain
Exercising can help to relieve pain. When you exercise, your body releases endorphin which are known to play a great role in pain management possessing morphine-like effects.
Also, exercising keeps your body active and allows for the proper flow of blood in the body. Getting involved in various exercises such as walking, swimming, running and others can help to keep your body active at all time.
Medical research has found sport women to have less pain or menstrual cramps in relation to other women. Therefore, exercising is a great way to relieve yourself of that pain.
When To See A Doctor About Period Pain
Although period pain is typical, red flags or a reason to consult a doctor urgently include the following:
- When the pain you are experiencing is not natural for you. That can be because it is more intense than usual or in a different place.
- Severe bleeding in quantities which are not normal for you.
- A temperature of over 38C. Although the basal temperature of your body varies during your menstrual cycle, a temperature can be a sign of an infection. Severe shaking or rigors is a reason to ring and get an urgent medical opinion to rule out infection.
- Unusual or new symptoms such as vomiting.
You should also consult your doctor on a less urgent basis if your period pain is causing you to:
- Take significant time off work or impact on your day to day living every month.
- Have signs of anaemia such as tiredness, pale skin or hair loss.
Your doctor can diagnose what is going on and help you find a solution which works for you.
The intensity of period pains can and will vary over your lifetime and a combination of the above remedies will help you find a way of dealing with them. And if binge-watching Netflix on the sofa with a reasonable amount of chocolate for a day is what works, then that is fine too.
Written by Dr Alice Byram Bsc Med & Surg UMA MA Hons MML Cantab
Recommended Reading: Signs Of Starting Your First Period