Signs That Your Yeast Infection Is Something Else
If you decide to let a yeast infection go away on its own, you should be especially wary of these symptoms which may indicate a more serious problem. If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should contact your doctor and seek treatment immediately.
- Vaginal discharge with a sour, pungent odor may indicate a sexually transmitted infection or disease, including herpes and trichomoniasis.
- Itching near your anus may be a sign of hemorrhoids or other genital infection.
- Blood in your stool/near your vulva is also a symptom of hemorrhoids. Contact your doctor immediately should you experience this.
- Fishy white or gray discharge is a strong odor associated with thin white or grey discharge could indicate Bacterial Vaginosis, a bacterial infection of the vagina.
- Prolonged itchinessis associated with use of a new hygiene product or detergentâallergic reactions to ingredients in soaps or detergents could cause itchiness in the vaginal area. Changing your hygiene regimen may relieve these symptoms.
When To See A Doctor
Its always best to see a doctor if you have a yeast infection. In some cases, its especially important to see a doctor because youre more likely to have complications.
If you have recurrent yeast infections, or if home remedies and over-the-counter remedies arent working, you should see a doctor. You should also contact your healthcare provider if you get yeast infections and you have diabetes or HIV, or if you have another condition that affects your immune system.
You should also see a doctor if you have had more than four yeast infections in the space of one year.
Should I Use Monistat 1 3 Or 7
It is your preference as to which dose you choose. MONISTAT® 1 is our highest strength, one-day, one-dose product that has the highest concentration of medication per dose . MONISTAT® 3 is a regular strength, three-day, three-dose product that has a lower concentration of medication per dose . MONISTAT® 7 is a low dose, seven-day, seven-dose product that contains the lowest concentration of medication per dose . All three dosage strengths are similarly effective in curing yeast infections in the same amount of time. Regardless of which dose you choose, if your symptoms do not get better in 3 days or symptoms last more than 7 days, these may be signs that you may have a more serious medical condition so stop the use of the product and contact your healthcare professional.
Need help? Use our product selector tool and answer a few simple questions for a Monistat® recommendation based on your needs and preferences.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Back Pain On Your Period
Why Yeast Infections Are Common Following Your Period
There are many factors that can lead to a vaginal yeast infection. For example, when you take a course of antibiotics, the population of bacteria in your vagina dies down and the little yeasties can grow wild.
The same research review above showed that hormone fluctuations can also disrupt the delicate balance of your vaginal microbiome. Thats why some folks are at a higher risk for yeast infections. Some factors that raise your risk, include:
- taking hormonal birth control with higher estrogen
- receiving postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy
Cyclical yeast infections occur when estrogen surges between ovulation and menstruation. Then, the symptoms resolve when the period starts. But people have their unique microbiomes, and hormonal imbalance could be a perfect environment for yeast overgrowth following your period.
Theres one more reason a yeast infection is more likely to occur after your period. One study showed that douching after your period could throw your vag out of whack and trigger a yeast infection.
FYI Recurrent yeast infections are associated with yeast strains that are resistant to common antifungals .
Does Yogurt Prevent Or Treat Yeast Infections
Maybe. Studies suggest that eating eight ounces of yogurt with “live cultures” daily or taking Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules can help prevent infection.,
But, more research still needs to be done to say for sure if yogurt with Lactobacillus or other probiotics can prevent or treat vaginal yeast infections. If you think you have a yeast infection, see your doctor or nurse to make sure before taking any over-the-counter medicine.
You May Like: Dental Insurance Missouri No Waiting Period
Are All Vaginal Infections Yeast Infections
No, in fact, the most common vaginal infection is bacterial vaginosis , which is an infection caused by an imbalance of bacteria in the vagina. Bacterial vaginosis is distinguished by a foul fishy odor, a thin, grayish-white discharge and a change in vaginal acidity. BV is caused by an abnormal growth of bacteria and must be treated with prescription antibiotics. By contrast, yeast infections do not usually cause an odor, and the discharge will often be thick, white, and lumpy with associated vaginal itching and irritation. If left untreated, BV may lead to a serious infection of the reproductive organs called pelvic inflammatory disease and complications in pregnant women, including premature birth.
See your healthcare professional if youre experiencing symptoms like a fishy odor, change in discharge, or sudden irritation within 48 hours after a new sex partner to make sure you do not have a sexually transmitted disease or BV.
Another common vaginal infection is Trichomoniasis , which is a parasitic infection. Symptoms of Trichomoniasis may include itching, burning, redness or soreness of the genitals discomfort with urination or a thin discharge with an unusual smell. The discharge can be clear, white, yellowish, or greenish. Like BV, Trichomoniasis must be treated by a healthcare professional.
How Can I Prevent A Yeast Infection
You can take steps to lower your risk of getting yeast infections:
- Do not douche. removes some of the normal bacteria in the vagina that protects you from infection.
- Do not use scented feminine products, including bubble bath, sprays, pads, and tampons.
- Do not wear tight underwear, pantyhose, pants, or jeans. These can increase body heat and moisture in your genital area.
- Wear underwear with a cotton crotch. Cotton underwear helps keep you dry and doesn’t hold in warmth and moisture.
- Change out of wet swimsuits and workout clothes as soon as you can.
- After using the bathroom, always wipe from front to back.
- Avoid hot tubs and very hot baths.
- If you have diabetes, be sure your blood sugar is under control.
Recommended Reading: Is It Normal To Pee Blood On Your Period
Yeast Infection Diagnosis And Treatment
Vaginal yeast infection manifests as itching, burning, redness of the vulva and vagina, white and curdy discharge, and pain during urination and sex.
Its important to consult a health care provider if you experience these symptoms. They will prescribe treatment without any additional tests or do a smear test for further examination.
Antifungal drugs are generally available over the counter, but recovery depends on taking an adequate dosage, drug type, and treatment duration prescribed by a health care provider.
A health care provider can prescribe pills that have a systemic effect on the body. Suppositories and creams introduced into the vagina produce a localized effect.
Taking a single dose of an antifungal medicine is sometimes enough to treat the infection, but a more serious therapy may also be required. Only topical preparations should be used during pregnancy.
What Questions Should I Ask My Doctor About Treatment For Vaginitis
It is important to follow your doctors instructions, as well as the instructions that come with the medication. Do not stop taking the medicine when your symptoms go away. Do not be embarrassed to ask your doctor or healthcare practitioner questions. Vaginitis of all types is very common. Good questions to ask include:
- Should I abstain from sexual intercourse during treatment?
- Should my sexual partner be treated at the same time?
- Will the medication for this vaginitis interact with my other medication?
- Should I continue the vaginal cream or suppositories during my period?
- Do I need to be re-examined and if so, when?
Read Also: How Many Days Before And After Period Is Safe
Who Can And Cannot Use Clotrimazole
Clotrimazole creams can be used by most adults and children.
However, some creams and pessaries are not recommended for children under the age of 16 years or adults aged 60 and above. Thrush affecting the vagina is rare in these age groups so a doctor will need to check what’s causing your symptoms before you start any treatment.
Clotrimazole may not be suitable for some people. To make sure clotrimazole is safe for you, tell a pharmacist or doctor if:
- this is the first time you’ve had thrush
- you’ve had thrush more than twice in the past 6 months
- you or your partner have ever had a sexually transmitted infection
- you’re a man with thrush but your sexual partner does not have it
- you have an abnormal discharge from your penis
- you have sores, ulcers or blisters on your penis
- you have abnormal or irregular bleeding from your vagina, or bloody discharge
- you have sores, ulcers or blisters on, or around, your vagina
Do not use clotrimazole pessaries if:
- you’re allergicto clotrimazole or any of the ingredients in the medicine
- you have an intolerance to some sugars unless your doctor has said it’s OK
- you’re having your period wait until it’s finished
Can I Use Monistat 3 While On My Period
- 25 Jun 2012 by babygirl4046
It will mostly wash out with your flow. I assume you have the cream. Your pH ought to readjust during your flow. Best to call a doc on this one. I would give it a try, however, at night when the flow is much less. You might get some result. Be sure you apply some crime on the outside to reduce the burning itch,
Call your dr and see if they will rx diflucan oral tablet or 2. Use monistat cream for the outside skin. Diflucan is pretty fast, if you take it to more morning, you will be much much better tuesday morning. Patti
Yes in fact you can use MONISTAT 3 During your cycle. If you were using it before you started your cycle finish out your treatment. However you may NOT use tampons as this can remove the medication from the vaginal canal. So use sanitary pads unscented and keep them changed frequently. Now best results would be at night when your flow is less and your movement in minimal. Your OBGYN may call you a prescription in to take by mouth, if not this will take care of the problem just fine. Don’t forget to apply the external cream to help with the itching and burning. Good luck.
Read Also: Can You Have A Period During Pregnancy
What Is A Yeast Infection
A yeast infection, also known as candida vulvovaginitis, is a common infection that 3 out of 4 women will experience throughout their lives. Yeast infections are not considered sexually transmitted infections .
Every womanâs vagina has a delicate balance of live bacteria and yeast cells. When this balance is thrown off, yeast cells can multiply, which may result in a yeast infection.
- Skin-to-skin contact with someone that has a yeast infection
- Health conditions
- Other cyclical changes in a womanâs body
The most common bacteria found in a healthy vagina are Lactobacillus acidophilus that moderate the growth of yeast cells and help susceptible parts of your body fight off infections. If your bodyâs natural balance of yeast levels is thrown off, you will likely experience a variety of uncomfortable symptoms.
While yeast infections may go away on their own, treatment with yeast infection medicine can provide faster, more effective relief.
Failing to treat a yeast infection prolongs discomfort and may lead to various health complications.
Fortunately, treatments for yeast infections are easy to access and simple to use.
Why Yeast Infections Happen Right Before Your Period
Researchers are not exactly sure why yeast infections are more common during a woman’s period, but there are a few possible explanations. It may be from changes in the vaginal pH that can occur when there are shifts in hormones. When the acidity of the vaginal area changes, the levels of Lactobacillus bacteria decrease as well. High amounts of certain types of healthy Lactobacillus bacteria in the vaginal area prevent unhealthy levels of yeast. Another theory is that when estrogen levels increase in the body, yeast cells have an easier time growing and staying in the vaginal area. Estrogen levels increase in the body naturally during hormonal cycles and also when a woman is taking estrogen through birth control pills or hormone therapy.
Recommended Reading: What Does Global Period Mean In Medical Billing
Tcb With Home Remedies For Yeast Infections
Your friend at yoga, the hippie lady at the vitamin store, a random message board on Reddit they all probably have ideas about how to treat your yeast the holistic way.
Theyre not necessarily off base. But heres a sampling of home remedies you can try for relief:
- One small study indicated that probiotics containing Lactobacillus will inhibit overgrowth of Candida.
- Another small study showed that applying a yogurt/honey mixture could relieve symptoms.
- According to Harvard Health Publishing, you can safely use coconut oil, petroleum jelly, or olive oil on your vulva to soothe irritation.
- Tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar are sometimes recommended as antimicrobials for yeast infections, but be wary because they can burn and irritate.
What Causes A Vaginal Yeast Infection
Most yeast infections are caused by a type of yeast called Candida albicans.
A healthy vagina has many bacteria and a small number of yeast cells. The most common bacteria, Lactobacillus acidophilus, help keep other organismslike the yeastunder control.
When something happens to change the balance of these organisms, yeast can grow too much and cause symptoms. Taking antibiotics sometimes causes this imbalance. The high estrogen levels caused by pregnancy or hormone therapy can also cause it. So can certain health problems, like diabetes or HIV infection.
Recommended Reading: How Can Calculate My Ovulation Period
Yeast Infection Treatment During Period How To Help Your Body Heal
Many women ask how to treat a yeast infection during the period.
During the time of the menstruation, there are several situations where the symptoms of a yeast infection can occur.
These include being in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet seat, wearing makeup, bath, during the menstrual cycle, and even during sex.
These are some of the possible causes that can lead to a yeast infection.
So if you are among these women who are looking for ways to treat yeast infection during period, here are some things that you can do to help your body heal from the discomfort caused by this condition.
Remember, it is very important to know what caused the infection, what you have to do to make sure that you will be free from this condition and also, how to treat a yeast infection during the period.