What Are The Benefits To Using The Rhythm Method
One benefit is that it is free and does not require you to go to a doctor annually to get a prescription refilled or get an implant replaced or monitored. Also, if you do decide you want to have a baby later, you can start trying right away. You dont have to stop taking any medication or have anything removed. Since you will already likely have a very good idea about when you are fertile each month, you will be prepared to know the best timing for sex.
Another major benefit is that you avoid the possible side effects that can come with other methods, such as pills, patches, shots or implanted devices. While these side effects are minor for most women, they can include:
- Bleeding between periods or missed periods
- Weight gain
- Bone loss with long-term use
- Pain or infection at the insertion site for implanted devices
- Difficulty removing an implant later in life
- Permanent loss of fertility due to complications
Understand Your Body Temperature
Your body gives away many signals that it is fertile and ovulating. One of the signs is your body temperature. To find your fertile and infertile days using your body temperature:Use a good quality basal thermometer to take accurate readings.
- You must take your temperature religiously before getting out of bed, every morning.
- You must have also had at least 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep before taking the temperature.
- If you use a vaginal, rectal or oral thermometer, use the same method consistently to get accurate results.
- Use a graph to see a pattern emerge. When you see a half degree rise in temperature consistently for three days, it means you are ovulating â you are prone to getting pregnant in these days.
- Every month, from the start of your periods to around 4 days after your body temperature rises, you can get pregnant. The rest of the days are safe.
- For most women, the typical temperature is at 96 to 98 degrees Fahrenheit and goes up to 97 to 99 degrees upon ovulation.
- Stress, heated mattresses, jet lag, alcohol, caffeine, smoking and being a night owl will definitely mess up with your temperatures â if you do all of these, this method might not be the right fit for you.
Avoid Misconceptions And Test Pregnancy In Hindi
Recommended Reading: What Does A Missed Period Mean
How To Calculate Safe Period
For calculating safe days for not getting pregnant, you need to understand each phase of the menstrualcycle.Phases of the Menstrual CycleFirst-thing-first, remember the first day of your menstrual flow is the first day of a specificmenstrual cycle. And all calculations of safe days for sex is based on it. Ovulation is the rootand cause of pregnancy. The distinctively menstrual cycle can be subdivided into threepotent phases which are Pre-Ovulation, Ovulation and Post-ovulation phases. Please notethat the length of each phase varies for each woman. However, a normal period cycle isbelieved to be 28 days.
1) Proliferative or Follicular Phase After the menstrual flow is over the body prepares forreleasing Ovum or egg. This is a pre-ovulation phase. FSH or Follicle StimulatingHormone and Estradiol or estrogen hormone secretion takes up the role of such activity.This phase as well as sex during period is safe in most of the cases.2) Ovulation In this phase, ovarian follicle or the cell carrying Ovum or egg ruptures andproduces ovum. 2 to 3 days before and after Ovulation is ovulation phase. A higherchance of pregnancy is there in this phase so for safe sex use condoms orcontraceptives.
What Is The Rhythm Method
The rhythm method is a type of birth control. Sometimes referred to under the category of natural family planning, or NFP, this approach to birth control involves a woman monitoring when she is fertile and avoiding sexual activity, or using other types of birth control such as condoms, at that time of her cycle. The rhythm method is also called the fertility awareness method.
The rhythm method is not as effective at preventing pregnancy as other methods, such as taking birth control pills it is only effective about 76 percent of the time but it appeals to some women who do not like the side effects that are possible with other options. It is also appealing to women who have religious objections to using medical forms of birth control.
Don’t Miss: Losing Too Much Blood During Period Symptoms
What Are The Other Downsides To The Rhythm Method
It can be hard to be sure of the days you are most fertile, especially if you do not have regular periods. Women have to think about these issues every time they want to have sex, which many women find to be a burden.
Also, the rhythm method provides no protection against sexually transmitted diseases. It is best used in monogamous relationships.
In addition, it can take several months of monitoring for you to have a clear pattern of when you are fertile. You may need to use barrier methods of birth control for at least the first few months.
The use of birth control medications can give some women relief from pain during and before their periods. Users of the rhythm method do not receive such benefits.
To Chart Your Fertile And Infertile Days With Your Discharges:
- You must keep track of your discharge for at least 2 cycles to be sure that you understand what is happening.
- Use an app or chart to keep track of your discharge every day.
- Start noting down your mucus from the day your periods stop completely.
- Wipe your vagina before you pee. Use a white toilet paper, look at your underwear or use clean fingers to check out the consistency.
- Chart out the period days, dry days, sticky days, wet days, slippery days and cloudy days.
- Sex can make you secrete differently, so note this down in your chart.
Recommended Reading: If You Have Irregular Periods Can You Get Pregnant
Increase In Basal Body Temperature
The basal body temperature is the temperature of your body when you take rest. As we know, the average body temperature of human beings is 98.6 the actual body temperature varies a little bit from that throughout the day. Based on our regular activities, our eating habits, hormonal changes, and sleeping habits, body temperature increases or fall.
As the research suggests, right after the ovulation day, the BBT increases in a range of 0.4 to 1 degree Celsius. Though the changes are tiny, still you can use an accurate thermometer and keep a track on your basal body temperature rise to detect the fertile days of the menstrual cycle.
Safe Days After The Period
If you want to avoid pregnancy, you will be glad to know that you can calculate safe days after your period. The safe days depend on both the lifespan of the sperm and the egg. Ovulation mainly occurs on the 14th day of the menstrual cycle if it’s of an average length of 28 days. This calculation is adjusted to reflect WHO data showing that approximately 80 percent of menstrual cycles range between 26 to 32 days. The ovulation period varies from woman to woman. It can happen anywhere from the 12th to the 19th day of the menstrual cycle.
The sperm can live in your reproductive system for up to five days. That means it is possible to conceive from unprotected sex if you had it five days before ovulation, even though the lifespan of a viable egg is only approximately 24 hours. If it’s not fertilized in 24 hours, it will die, and it will be safe for you to have sex.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Your Period End Faster
Who Can Use Natural Family Planning
Most women can use natural family planning. However, certain situations can affect fertility signs and you might want to consider a different method if:
- there could be a health risk to the baby if you got pregnant
- you’re having irregular periods
- you have a short or long-term condition affecting your fertility signs, such as a sexually transmitted infection or pelvic inflammatory disease
- you’re taking a medication that disrupts production of cervical mucus
- you’ve recently stopped taking hormonal contraception
- you’ve recently had a miscarriage or abortion
- you’ve recently given birth and are breastfeeding
- you regularly travel through different time zones
- you have a vaginal infection such as thrush or an STI, or you’re at increased risk of getting an STI
- you’re not able to take your temperature in the recommended way
- you’re a heavy drinker
Contraception Methods During Safe Period
Ideally, it is good to use contraceptives even during the safe period to avoid pregnancy. You could use condoms, spermicides, natural family planning, oral contraceptives, implants, contraceptive rings, patches, IUDs, or surgical interventions including hysterectomy, tubal ligation, tubal sterilization, and vasectomy . However, talk to your partner and your healthcare provider before determining which method is the best.
Next, we answer some of the common queries about the safe period to have sex and avoid pregnancy.
You May Like: Negative Pregnancy Test But No Period
Ovulation And Safe Period: What Is The Safe Period To Have Sex
– 3 min read
Are you tired of popping pills to prevent unwanted pregnancies? This article will help you understand your menstrual cycle and the safe period to have sex without worrying about getting pregnant.
To understand the safe and unsafe periods to have sex, you first need to understand your menstrual cycle.
When Is The Safest Time To Ovulate After A Period
The body needs oestrogen and progestogen to maintain the endometrium, the inner lining of the uterus. The safe days for a woman after a period depend on the lifespan of both the sperm and egg. In most cases, ovulation happens on the 14th day of the menstrual cycle if the menstrual cycle is of average length .
Read Also: What Happens If You Miss Your Period
Why Is Safe Days Calculator Needed
Calculating your safe period is helpful because it would help you recognize the days of havingsex without protection and pregnancy concerns. Knowing how to calculate your safe period isessential if you don’t want a child immediately. Most importantly, safe pregnancy calculator is aperfect birth control tool because it doesn’t include ingesting hormonal birth control pills, usingan IUD, or hormone injections that can have different effects on different women, ranging fromsevere mood swings to weight gain and other issues that hamper one’s well-being.
Other Ways To Have Sex Without Worrying About Getting Pregnant
Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle
Your menstrual cycle begins on the first day of your period and continues up to the first day of your next period.
You’re most fertile at the time of ovulation , which usually occurs 12 to 14 days before your next period starts. This is the time of the month when you’re most likely to get pregnant.
It’s unlikely that you’ll get pregnant just after your period, although it can happen. It’s important to remember that sperm can sometimes survive in the body for up to 7 days after you have sex.
This means it may be possible to get pregnant soon after your period finishes if you ovulate early, especially if you have a naturally short menstrual cycle.
You should always use contraception when you have sex if you don’t want to become pregnant.
Advantages Of Natural Ways To Track Safe Sex Time
- The method has no side effects since No medications involved.
- No hormones or devices required.
- Always available.
- Costs you almost nothing. Just thermometer, stationery, calendar which are very cheap.
- It is perfect for some couples do have religious concerns for using artificial contraception.
- Couples become more responsible and co-operative.
Don’t Miss: What Medicine Is Good For Period Cramps
Refer A Friend Free Worldwide Delivery New Customer Offer
Advantages Of Using Fams For Calculating Safe Period:
- FAMs is a fairly cheap and inexpensive way to use. It is safe to use, unlike contraceptive pills which impact hormones.
- Partners develop responsibility and sensitivities for each others bodies.
- FAMs establish an optimum fertility phase for planned pregnancy.
- You can track and improve premenstrual syndrome and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome symptoms very well.
- Religious concerns that dont allow artificial contraceptive methods are catered for.
- Absolutely no medications involved!
You May Like: My Period Is 9 Days Late
Oral Contraceptive Aka The Pill
The pill can protect you 99.99% of the times against unplanned pregnancy, but it cant protect you from sexually transmitted diseases . You need to take them daily, preferably at the same time.
Pills have been known to make you put on weight, and mess with hormones which is why many women dont like this method. This is also cited as a major reason for causing infertility in young women and is not something I advocate.