Q: How Do You Know Which Option Is Best For A Special Event
A: The options might vary, depending on how far in advance the patient consults us.
If patients contact us a couple of months ahead of an event, birth control is likely their best chance to reliably delay a period. If they ask for help a week or two in advance, a high dose of progesterone can delay their period for a week or so.
But remember: Everybody is different. Some women can skip periods for a whole year, and have no bleeding, on certain treatments. Some can only delay periods for two to three weeks, and then will start to get breakthrough bleeding.
For others, we cant ever completely stop their periods, but we can slow or delay them.
When Is A Heavy Period Too Heavy
It is difficult to measure blood loss accurately. Some medical definitions of blood loss during a period are:
- A normal period is a blood loss between 30 and 40 ml per month. Bleeding can last up to eight days but bleeding for five days is average.
- A heavy period is a blood loss of 80 ml or more. This is about half a teacupful or more. However, it is difficult to measure the amount of blood that you lose during a period.
- For practical purposes, a period is probably heavy if it causes one or more of the following:
- Flooding through to clothes or bedding.
- You need frequent changes of sanitary towels or tampons.
- You need double sanitary protection .
- Soaking of bedclothes.
- You pass large blood clots.
- Restriction to your normal lifestyle because of heavy bleeding.
- Menorrhagia means heavy periods that recur each month. Also, that the blood loss interferes with your quality of life. For example, if it stops you doing normal activities such as going out, working or shopping. Menorrhagia can occur alone or in combination with other symptoms.
What Can You Do To Feel Better
If you have severe cramping during your periods, taking an NSAID such as ibuprofen or naproxen may help. An NSAID works best when you start taking it 1 to 2 days before you expect pain to start. If you dont know when your period will start next, take your first dose as soon as bleeding or cramping starts.
Heavy periods can make you feel weak and run-down and can lead to anemia. Your doctor may suggest that you take an iron supplement if your iron levels are low. You may be able to prevent anemia if you increase the amount of iron in your diet. Foods rich in iron include red meat, shellfish, eggs, and beans.
Also Check: How Can Calculate My Ovulation Period
Read Also: Primosiston To Stop Period
Reducing Or Stopping Your Period
Youve already had a rundown on birth control. Now its time to talk about menstrual suppression. Hormonal options may reduce menstrual bleeding or stop it completely.
This may be particularly important if youre living with bleeding disorders such asvon Willebrand disease and thrombocytopenia. Hormonal options are also a common intervention for those with uterine fibroids,endometriosis, or naturally heavy menstrual flows.
Heres what you need to know.
Signs And Symptoms Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
Symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding may include:
- Soaking through one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour for several consecutive hours
- Needing to wake up to change sanitary protection during the night
- Needing to use double sanitary protection to control the menstrual flow
- Menstrual bleeding that lasts longer than a week
- Symptoms of anemia, like fatigue, light-headedness and shortness of breath
- Passing blood clots larger than a quarter
- Restricting activities because of heavy menstrual flow
Read Also: Usaa New Car Insurance Grace Period
What Causes Heavy Periods
Knowing the cause of your heavy periods is the first step to acquiring a solution. Heavy periods could also be painful. So, what causes heavy periods? There are quite a number of possible causes of heavy menstrual bleeding. Look closely at the following:
- Fibroids enlargements of muscle in the wall of the womb
- Endometrial polyps benign outgrowths of the lining of the womb
- Diabetes as it progresses, diabetes can cause long, irregular menstrual cycles, and heavy periods. Better understand and know how to manage diabetes.
- Perimenopause During this transition before menopause, you may experience hormonal changes and unusually heavy bleeding during your period. Menobalance Cream is one of the best natural remedies of perimenopause.
- Childbirth recovery After you have a baby, heavy periods are common and could be a permanent thing.
- Adenomyosis a condition where the uterus muscle is encroached by endometrial tissue, causing thickening of the uterine wall and increased pain and bleeding.
- Stopping contraceptive pills it may appear that your menstrual periods have become heavier when they are really just going back to what is normal for you.
These major and obvious symptoms can help you tell if youre having menorrhagia or heavy periods. They include :
How Is Menorrhagia Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will ask you about your medical history and about your periods. You will also have a physical exam including a pelvic exam. You may be asked to keep track of your periods and how many pads or tampons you use for a few months if you havent already done so.
- Blood tests. These check for anemia and test how fast your blood clots.
- Pap test. For this test, cells are collected from the cervix and examined. Its used to check for cancerous changes, infection, or inflammation.
- Ultrasound. Using sound waves and a computer, your healthcare provider can check for fibroids or other problems inside the uterus.
- Biopsy. Examining a tissue sample from the uterine lining can help your healthcare provider find cancer or other abnormal tissue.
Other tests include:
- Hysteroscopy. Using a viewing instrument inserted through the vagina, your healthcare provider can see the cervix and the inside of the uterus.
- Dilation and curettage .This procedure involves scraping and then examining the uterine cavity.
Recommended Reading: Usaa Grace Period
/12this Is How You Can Delay Your Periods Naturally
Mother nature can come calling any time of the month, so it is always better that we keep a tab on our monthly cycles. But there are times when we have a special vacation coming up or some festival or maybe some other reason and your period is the last thing you would want to deal with! Periods can wreak havoc on our emotional state and we won’t even begin talking about the physical pain it puts us through! Period cramps and mood swings can ruin a very well planned week. So what can be done to avoid them from surprising us on our special days? Delay them. Yes, but taking pills to delay periods can later make them even worse because of the high hormonal dosage in them. So we thought of bringing to you the top 10 ways that can delay your period naturally. Please note, these remedies are to be followed at least a fortnight before your date for best results.
Top 64 Best Tips On How To Stop Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Flow
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
The first and foremost best tip on how to stop heavy menstrual bleeding flow that we want to introduce here is apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar, also known as cider or ACV, can be found easily in many kitchens. This apple must is widely used in salad and has a lot of amazing health benefits. It can benefits your health in many ways such as regulating blood sugar levels, enhancing weight loss, lowering cholesterol, improving skin health, reducing blood pressure, relieving acid refluxs symptoms, fighting fungus, soothing sunburns, treating warts, healing itchy poison ivy rash, warding off seasonal allergies, keeping hair shiny, whitening teeth, stopping colds symptoms and even heavy menstrual bleeding flow.
ACV is well known for treating symptoms associated with heavy menstrual bleeding such as headaches, fatigue, cramping, bloating, intestinal discomfort and irritability. It has the antiseptic properties that can cleanse the internal system. Moreover, the vinegar with amber color can also act as a tonic to kick toxins out of your body and balance hormones. A study found that women with irregular and heavy periods due to polycystic ovarian syndrome should consume apple cider vinegar daily because this can help them boost their fertility and make periods regular. Thanks to all these advantages, apple cider vinegar is used as an effective home remedy for heavy menstrual bleeding. All you have to do is:
2. Red Raspberry Leaf
How to use:
Recommended Reading: Usaa Grace Period Auto Insurance New Car
What Causes Menorrhagia
During your menstrual cycle, if an egg is not fertilized, the uterine lining breaks down, and bleeds. The egg and the uterine lining are then shed during your period.
Hormone problems or conditions that affect the uterus can result in heavy bleeding. Other diseases or bleeding disorders can also cause it.
Hormone problems include:
- Pregnancy problems
- Use of an intrauterine device
Other conditions such as thyroid, kidney or liver disease, cancer or bleeding disorders can also cause heavy bleeding.
How Can Hormones Help
Painkillers like ibuprofen and diclofenac both of which are non-steroidal are often used for the relief of menstrual pain and cramps, and also for heavy periods. In addition to relieving the pain, they may also help to lower the amount of blood lost. Acetylsalicylic acid is not suitable for heavy periods because it has an anti-clotting effect so it can increase the amount of blood lost during menstruation.
The most common side effects of NSAIDs are stomach problems, nausea, vomiting, headaches and drowsiness. The women who took NSAIDs for heavy periods in studies didn’t experience many more side effects than women who took a placebo for comparison.
Another medication that can help in the treatment of heavy periods is tranexamic acid. It affects blood clotting and reduces the tendency to bleed. Studies have shown it to be more effective than NSAIDs. Tranexamic acid may cause headaches, tiredness and muscle cramps. But these side effects are not more common than with NSAIDs.
There is no good-quality research on whether herbal products can relieve heavy periods.
If excessive loss of blood is causing extreme tiredness, iron deficiency anemia is probably the reason. It is normally treated by taking iron tablets. Iron supplements may have side effects such as stomach ache and constipation, and can cause your stool to turn black.
Also Check: Employee Probationary Period Template
Can Exercise Shorten Your Period
Getting regular exercise can have an impact on the length of our period. By staying fit and keeping active you might be able to shorten your periods as well as lightening your flow. Also during your period exercise is a great way to relieve any pain that you may be experiencing, as the body releases its natural painkillers- endorphins.
By doing exercising that stretches your muscles such as yoga, you can help to loosen the muscles in your abdomen, back and thighs which may help to make you feel better while youre on your period.
Heavy Periods: The Best Diy Remedies To Manage A Heavy Flow
Heavy menstrual bleeding is both common and can be managed. The average woman will lose anywhere between six and sixteen teaspoons of blood during her period, and this may vary from month to month. If youre changing your pad or tampon every hour, wearing a pad and a tampon at the same time, passing large blood clots, or feeling dizzy, then youre likely having a heavy period. This isnt necessarily anything to worry about, and there are natural ways to help stem or manage your heavy flow.
Read Also: 90 Probationary Period Employment Form
Get The Right Nutrients
Certain micronutrients, such as B vitamins, are essential to your overall health. Certain nutrients can even ease up your periods while alleviating PMS symptoms.
Vitamin B6 is one of the nutrients that can affect your periods. Its found naturally in foods such as eggs, fish, and poultry. Vitamin
One study found that zinc, an essential mineral, was helpful in alleviating painful period cramps . Its thought that zinc has similar effects as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , such as ibuprofen.
Study participants reported relief from cramps when they took 30 mg doses of zinc up to three times per day. You can also make sure to get enough zinc-rich foods in your diet, such as meat, legumes, and dairy.
Magnesium is another mineral that can potentially help alleviate long, painful periods because of its anti-cramping effects. One study found that a combination of magnesium and vitamin B6 was helpful in alleviating symptoms of PMS.
Talk to your doctor before taking any supplements to treat your periods. In the meantime, make sure you get enough magnesium in your diet via nuts, seeds, greens, and fish.
Heat Application Or Pain Medication
If painful periods caused by cramping is an associated symptom with your heavy menses, your can use a heating pad on your abdomen or back to relieve the discomfort. You can also relax in a hot bath or take a long, hot shower to relax your tense muscles.
Its also possible to find an assortment of pain relieving medications at a local drugstore to decrease the pain that may not be cured by the heat therapy. Most women find relief with the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen.
Don’t Miss: Dark Brown Discharge Instead Of Period
What Are The Treatment Options For Heavy Periods
Periods become very annoying when they are on the heavier side. As it disturbs your lifestyle so it is normal to become very irritated in these days. There is good news for every victim of heavy menstrual bleeding that it is a manageable condition. It can easily be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Medical and surgical options are also there. You should see the doctor if your symptoms are severe and not resolved by ordinary treatments, as doctor can provide you the best guidelines. First he will take your detailed history, personal as well as family, then after ultrasound and pelvic examination he will make an appropriate diagnosis.
Appropriate diagnosis is very important because you can only cure an illness when you know its cause. For example, if iron deficiency isa cause you need iron supplementation above all treatment options.
Your doctor can better guide you in this regard he will tell you the best treatment option, its effectiveness as well as its effect on your fertility. Especially young women should be very careful regarding management sometimes wrong medications can affect your life badly.
Read Also: Can I Get Pregnant 6 Days After My Period